Friday, January 23, 2009

In honor of our mountains

a guest post from Nichole

Walking towards beauty, I seek my mother's majesty. I search for her bosom, as I'm in need of sustenance. Walking along her water's, searching for the crest, the peaks. I feel her warmth, I'm in the heartbeat. Secure in this connection, I look up now, instead of down. My gaze is forward between her and the sun. Amidst the gaze I see her majesty, in ranges.
Ranges of mountains, caressing the sky so high. I've found the peaks of her sustenance. I will walk up to that range. I will walk up to that mountain that calls my will, my awe and wonder, my name. To the top, I am free. To the summit of her nectar, of her being. My love has grown, just in the journey. In the journey to be free.

- We Must Stop Mountain Top Removal -

We work til the day we expire to find a peaceful valley, yet it's here, within me and within you. In everybody. It's on the other side of every mountain. Walk up to the mountain. Look up and walk. And when you get there, you'll know. The peace will grow. The sight, panoramic, will glow.

"The peaceful valley
Just over the mountain
The peaceful valley
Few come to know
I may never get there
Ever in this lifetime
But sooner or later
It's there I will go
Sooner or later
It's there I will go"

I suppose these words make me imagine a lady living amongst the devastation of mountain top removal. Her life weaved in the appalachia's, she sees what beauty has been removed. She wonders if she'll ever see that peaceful valley again, as opposed to toxic slurries and destroyed earth. She dreams of being able to go up the mountain and witness a miracle, a restoration, a healing, and a cleansing of the devastation.
And she believes, maybe not in this lifetime, her dream would come true. That she may find that peaceful valley. That she may have a place, that peaceful valley place, to be able to transcend from and to. All she has now, is faith and will.
All she needs is faith and will.


-nichole



1 comment:

Nichole said...

The singer/songwriter on the track being played, is Patty Griffin. The songs title, is "Up to the Mountain".
Thank you for sharing.
namaste